It’s another busy pre-season period for North Wales Crusaders this year as they run out in six friendly games. The Swinton Lions clash before New Year has already been announced, but Crusaders supporters will be able to watch their side in another five games in the build up to the vitally important Championship One campaign.
North Wales Crusaders’ pre-season scheduele is as follows:
- Swinton Lions v North Wales Crusaders – Leigh Sports Village – 29th December 2012
- York City Knights v North Wales Crusaders – Huntington Stadium – 13th January 2013
- North Wales Crusaders v Warrington Wizards – Glyndwr University Racecourse Stadium – Date TBC
- North Wales Crusaders v Coventry Bears – Glyndwr University Racecourse Stadium – Date TBC
- Thatto Heath Crusaders v North Wales Crusaders – Hattons Solicitors’ “Crusaders Park” – Date TBC
- North Wales Crusaders v TBC – Venue TBC – Date TBC
Four of the sides already announced will be new opposition for North Wales Crusaders, but Thatto Heath is a familiar name in Crusaders’ recent history as they came up against the St Helens-based club in a friendly game at Eirias Park last February, when they ran out 60-28 winners despite a valiant effort from the National Conference League champions at the time.
Two of the fixtures will see Crusaders go head-to-head with higher league oppoisition, something that North Wales didn’t have the liberty of last term in their pre-season preparation, and head coach Clive Griffiths feels this could be important ahead of the battle that lies ahead next year.
“Time will tell whether these games against higher opposition will really prove important, but we’re pleased to be helping out Ian Watson with his testimonial game at Swinton Lions. All of the friendly games should fit in really well with our preparation. It’s a lot more relaxed this year, where as last year it was a mad rush”, he said.
The clash at the Glyndwr University Racecourse Stadium against Warrington Wizards should have some extra spice as Jono Smith and Billy Sheen go head-to-head with one of their old clubs, and that was in a period that saw them both experience success with the Wilderspool residents; Sheen being involved in a real play-off surge, where as Jono Smith was instrumental in taking them to a National League Conference title in 2010.
Details on the confirmed dates and kick-off times for each of the fixtures will be announced when available and added onto the fixture page, here.